Skip to content

5 Facts About Contraception

1. Is it really possible to avoid pregnancy by contraception?

Yes, it is. Statistically, the rate of contraceptive failure is very low when using appropriate methods of contraception. However, there is no complete contraception. Even if you have had permanent contraception, you may become pregnant. Therefore, even during birth control, if you suspect pregnancy, it is advisable to seek help from a gynecologist immediately.

2. Can oral contraceptives cause cancer?

No, it is not. Oral contraceptives show additional health benefits to contraception. All of these are based on scientifically proven evidence. It can be seen that the incidence of endometrial cancer, ovarian cancer, and colon cancer decreases by taking oral contraceptives. A number of other advantages have been reported. In addition, complications from unwanted or desired pregnancy and childbirth are much more severe and frequent than complications from contraception.

3. Does oral contraceptives make acne worse?

No, it is not. Among the new benefits of oral contraceptives is acne reduction. Since oral contraceptives that show the effect of acne reduction must contain certain luteinizing hormone, it is important to select a suitable drug to see the effect of acne reduction along with contraception. You can decide after consulting a gynecologist considering your health condition.

4. Will I become infertile if I stop taking oral contraceptives?

No, it is not. However, it may take some time for normal menstruation to return. In a large study, women who stopped taking oral contraceptives had a slightly lower pregnancy rate in the first three months, but the pregnancy rate gradually increased to 90% within 24 months. The remaining 10% is equal to the infertility rate seen in women in general, so these people can be considered infertile regardless of the contraceptive. In other words, oral contraceptives and infertility are not related.

5. Is contraception safe in conclusion?

Yes, it is. The complications of unwanted or desired pregnancy and childbirth are much more severe and more frequent than those of contraception. Please keep this in mind. Of course, it is recommended to choose the optimal method of contraception after consulting with a gynecologist about your health, environment, and the advantages and disadvantages of each contraceptive method.

Leave a comment